Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Hackbright Week 2: The week my brain wouldn't shut off

I learned so much this week that when I was trying to fall asleep my mind would be swimming with thoughts about Object Oriented Programming (OOP), Markov chains, lists and dictionaries.

The teachers at Hackbright do an excellent job presenting the material in engaging and digestible chunks and often with a humorous slant.  Take for example, our lesson on Markov chains.  Christian lead us in an example of breaking down the patterns of dubstep (to paraphrase, "wawawaaaa tsssss woooomp") in order to generate the next possible segment of music.

The exercise in OOP had us making a game based on a python game engine.  My pair-partner, Lani, and I had fun moving our character around and devising the game play.

We also had a field trip to Google for DevFest.  Dee, a fellow student gave an informative talk about Chrome Developer Tools and Liz, one of our teachers spoke about Gay Marriage From a Database Perspective.

Needing a digital break my husband and I took a day trip to Tahoe.  Ahhhh.....

But the week wasn't over yet!  I scored the opportunity to attend Pycon for the day.  I met many recruiters at the job fair, leaving confident that there are plenty of jobs out there.  One of the more interesting sessions was Tavis Rudd's demonstration where he coded by voice.  After temporarily losing feeling in his hands, he was forced to find alternatives to the key board.  This lead to "duct-tape coding in Python and Emacs Lisp" to make the Dragon voice recognition software recognize his commands (often consisting of animal sounds and abbreviated words) to generate code and terminal commands.  Even though the feeling in his hands returned Travis says he still codes by voice 40-60% of the time.


No comments:

Post a Comment